Island Hopping on the Southern Gulf Islands
The Southern Gulf Islands are recognized as a nature-filled, world-class destination to visit, including being featured in the New York Times as one of the “52 Places to go in 2016”. Have some island hopping fun and find out what all of the fuss is about!
Enjoy Galiano Island’s festivals and arts scene including the Kunamokst Mural, along with hiking delights.
Mayne Island offers laid-back charms, markets and dining options and beautiful views from the Georgina Point Lighthouse. Pender Island offers two islands to explore, beaches and seaside vistas, several accessible marina’s, numerous hiking trails and vibrant friendly people with community spirit to share! Visit Salt Spring Island for our Saturday Market and stay for cultural options where you are surrounded by parks to play in. Saturna Island offers an abundance of nature including East Point Park and the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve – one of Canada’s Newest National Parks! All trips are on BC Ferries except Saturday trips on Gulf Islands Water Taxi.
5 Tips to Beat the Ferry Line Ups and Save Money
- Plan ahead! The connections on the ferries between the Southern Gulf Islands are sometimes convoluted and tricky.
- Check your ferry departure times twice (or three times) and look for travel advisories on the BC Ferries website
- Make reservations for those trips that accept reservations (usually trips to the Mainland or the Victoria - Vancouver run) and be there 45 minutes ahead of time or your reservations will be cancelled.
- Allow for enough time (at least 30 - 60 minutes depending on season and departure time) on those trips around the Southern Gulf Islands that don't have the option to reserve. Depending on the season and the ferry you're taking, they can overload quickly.
- Look for the exclamation mark next to the departure time, these ferries tend to be the busiest and should be avoided to take the stress out of your trips.
- Use a BCExperience Card instead of paying per trip at the booth. A BC Experience Card can be used on all BC ferry rides and offers substantial discounts for trips around the Southern Gulf Islands. There aren't any discounts for the Victoria-Vancouver trip, but the amount stored to the card (min $150) can be used against these trips anyways.
To get started, go directly to the BC Ferries Schedule for the Southern Gulf Islands.
Ferries don't work for you? Consider a Gulf Islands Water Taxi: $30 Round Trip
Enjoy your adventure in the Gulf Islands! For information on island activities and where to stay, you can start your research on our Southern Gulf Island pages.